Our History

school1954

St. Patrick’s School

St. Patrick’s School opened in September, 1954, with an enrollment of approximately 200 students. The school was a prefabricated building which housed eight classrooms, offices, washrooms and a boiler room, and cost $120,000. The first Separate School Board Members were Pat Hogan, Joe Murray and John McCarthy.

Mr. A.C. McFee was principal and had a staff of six teachers: Mr. Harper, Mrs. E. Girard, Mrs. Fex, Miss Dupuis and Mrs. Garaghty. In January, 1955, Mrs. Graghty took over as principal, holding that position until the end of the school term in June.

In September, 1955, Mr. Mike Chochla was hired as principal. When he left his post in the 1960s Mr. William Morrison took over. On his retirement in 1989, Mr. Ed McCluskey became principal, followed by Mr. Wayne McAndrew and Mr. Guy Durand.east2015

Over the years there have been several renovations to St. Patrick’s School. In 1961, a new building with three classrooms, storage room and two washrooms was built near the original school. In 1966, two classrooms were added to the new building. Further changes were made in 1969, adding a general purpose room, two change rooms, two washrooms, two classrooms, a work room and the library.

A new St. Patrick’s School was built near the original site in 2000. The official opening of the new St. Patrick’s School took place November 1, 2001. Bishop F. Colli blessed the building at a gathering in the school’s auditorium. The original school building, built in 1954, was demolished in 2001 to make room for a parking lot.

In September 2009, the Atikokan Roman Catholic Separate School Board and The Northwest Catholic District School Board amalgamated.Progress1.jpg

 

Atikokan Progress June 21, 1989

Together Bill and Bonnie Morrison spent over 44 years at St. Patrick’s Elementary School.  They are now retiring, and in a special ceremony last Friday morning, the Students Saluted their efforts for all of those years.  Bill came to St. Pat’s in 1959 ans has served as principal since 1963.  Bonnie has taught there for 14 years over that span of time.  The students presented Bill with a carved duck and Bonnie with a gold pendant.  Good Luck!Progress2

 

 

 

 

  Atikokan Progress January 18, 1973

BOARD UNCHANGED:  Atikokan’s separate school Board will be unchanged as result of election at annual meeting. Chairman John Duggan (left), whose term has expired, was reelected to office.  The other board members are Graig Boileau and Mrs. MadeleineToffan.                                                                                                                                      

retirement

 

 

Atikokan Progress June 24, 1971

RETIREMENT PARTY: Mrs. Emma Girard (centre) is retiring after teaching for 17 years at St. Patrick’s separate school. Those attending a retirement party included:  L. to r., Michael Chochla, former St. Pat’s principal now regional superintendent out of Kenora; Mrs Madeleine Toffan, representing the school board; Mrs Vic Tarpin of Long Lac, a former school board member; and principal William Morrison

 

 

 

Joomla25 Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux